Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Computer this and that Asus

I ask myself, "What should I do?" I'm going to start school again and my Mac G4's screen bummed out on me. I really like the computer, but the screen flickers when I have the screen on with any brightness. It only does this when it is not plugged into a power source. When I have it plugged into a wall, on the lowest brightness settings, it works ok.

I have really enjoyed my forray of OSX 4.1. I liked the way that the search function gave. I really loved using the two finger scroll. I enjoyed using the apple symbol for every little thing. I enjoyed moving back and forth between windows by using the hot corners. I enjoyed a lot of the software experiences that the mac gave me. I even enjoyed the way that applications were down on the bottom of the screen , easily accessible. That being said, I was not totally convinced of Apple's dominance in the computerized age. This could be because I didn't have the latest and greatest. Should I compare it to the windows xp? OSX wins. Anyways.




Powerbook G4: I'll still use you, as long as your tethered to a wall and don't try to make me seizure.

Back to the what should I do. I took the powerbook to class with me last year on occasion to view the powerpoint presentations during class and as a quick reference lookup. It was heavy and the whole situation with the powercord/screen was buggin'. I think it would still be good to have a computer to take to school/class, but I was thinking that a netbook may satisfy my school needs. The netbooks seem to have similar specs as the powerbook, 1.66ghz, 1 gb ram, 160 gb hard disk space. The netbook even improves by adding in non-flicker led screen, webcam, and 10 hour batter life vs. what I have now, which needs to be close to outlet to prevent flicker and ~1 hour off battery. I was thinking about getting the same one that my mother recently purchased, the ASUS 1005ha-p. It runs around 380 dollars. I can also upgrade the memory to 2 gb for 20 dollars more. Then again, I was looking at best buy, and for 100 dollars more, I could get the ASUS K50IJ-RX05 that they're selling at best buy. It would also be a 15" computer, like the mac that I have, and could be upgraded to the windows 7. The smaller eee pc is a 10" and lighter( 3 lbs), instead of 6 lbs that I could get from either 15". I don't know.


It's one of those things that really doesn't matter, then again, it's fun to juggle and think about. Computers are frustrating to think about. You get one, then there is a better deal later. That's why getting the cheaper netbook or budget laptop seems appealing.

My conundrum remains.

Best buy deal Asus k50IJ-rx05 or the Netbook Asus 1005ha?













Has anybody had any experience with the small netbook computers and school?

2 comments:

blueeyedfreckle said...

thank you for that COMPLETELY THOROUGH explanation of your computer conundrum. If anyone wants to know what it is like to talk to Franc about his dilemma in person, well you have it right here. only written down. every detail of every thought.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read that entire entry. I appreciate it, because I know it was hard to do.

I love you Franc. you are a funny guy.

Jacob said...

I disagree with Katie's implied message that there was too much detail in the post. I read the whole thing with interest.

If it was me deciding, I would base my decision on one question: am I going to watch any internet video on it? Because if you are then you want the computer with a faster processor, better GPU, and more RAM. But if you aren't, then you should get the cheaper, lighter one. Everything else will run just as well on either one.

Also, the difference between 6 lbs and 3 lbs is a ton (not literally, obviously).